This year, the experienced rowing programs, Competitive and Developmental, will combine into one team. The new structure will operate much like a spring high school rowing program in which all boats will be competing. This should allow for greater accountability, responsibility, and a more competitive atmosphere. Initial boat placements will be based on evaluations on the erg and on-water as needed.
PWCA Fall Programs place an emphasis on continued development of technique in all rowers along with providing the opportunity for competitive racing.
The top two men’s and women’s boats will be expected to participate in all regattas including one away regatta at the Head of the Schuylkill. Lower boats will compete locally at coach’s discretion.
EVALUATION DAYS: 20 & 21 August, 4:00 to 6:00 PM at the Oxford Boathouse in Woodbridge
All makeup evaluations will be done on Monday, 27 August, the first day of fall practice. Rowers doing their evaluations on 27 August will not go out on the water that day.
• COXSWAINS: Written and audio test submissions. The written test will occur on 20 and 21 August. The audio submissions will be turned in at the time of the written test.
• ROWERS: All experienced rowers interested in participating in PWCA’s fall Competitive Team will be evaluated on 20 and 21 Aug
o 5-minute erg time
o 500 meter erg time
• Rowers will be placed in A to E boats (Initial rankings will be based on the evaluation criteria. Continued evaluations will be based on “on water” observation).
• During the fall season, rowers who desire to move from their current boat, may request a seat race for a new boat position.
DATES: 27 August to 4 November
TIME: 4:00 to 6:00 PM (with ability to flex)
DAYS: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
A payment plan option is available.
UNIFORM: All rowers on the Competitive Team will receive the following:
• Visor or Hat
• Water Bottle
REGATTAS: The competitive select boats (upper boats) are expected to compete in all regattas below. At the coaches’ discretion, competitive boats (lower boats) will compete in the head races on the Occoquan Reservoir.
• Occoquan Challenge – 7 Oct
• Occoquan Chase—14 Oct
• Head of the Schuylkill—28 Oct (Competitive Select Boats only, additional fee for bus and boat registration)
• Head of the Occoquan—3 & 4 Nov